Pedophile Langlade County Wisconsin Deputy Sheriff Michael Brayton Arrested, No Longer With Department, And Charged After Sex And Sexual Activity With Children

July 12, 2012

ANTIGO, WISCONSIN — A former Langlade County sheriff’s deputy was arrested and charged with 22 felonies Tuesday for alleged sexual activity with teenage girls.

Bail was set at $50,000 for Michael Brayton, 25, of Gleason. A judge ordered that he have no contact with girls younger than 18 if he makes bail.

Brayton remained in custody after his court appearance and does not have a listed phone number. Online court records do not list whether he has an attorney.

The charges include four counts of sexual assault of a child under 16, two counts of child enticement and 16 counts of exposing his genitals to children.

All are linked to incidents with four girls, ages 15 to 18, the Antigo Daily Journal reported (http://bit.ly/NeUDVj ).

The 32-page complaint alleges a pattern of behavior with girls from Elcho High School and heavy use of social media including Facebook and text messaging. It alleges Brayton and the girls became friendly and their relationships escalated to trading explicit photographs and several instances of physical contact with one girl.
Read the rest of this entry »


7 And 8 Year Old Children And Counselor Leaving Washington DC Summer Camp Lunch Program Shot By Savage Black Beast Trying To Kill Another Man

June 26, 2012

WASHINGTON, DC – The children were returning from lunch, marching in line and singing songs when the bullets started to fly.

A 7-year-old boy was shot in the right shoulder. An 8-year-old was struck in the right ankle. A counselor was hit in his left thigh but managed to usher the group of about 30 children to safety, D.C. police said. The shooting victims were expected to survive.

The children and their counselor were apparently caught in a spray of bullets fired by one man at another for reasons that aren’t clear, police said. The gunman fired at the second man as he ran toward the children in the 1900 block of Savannah Street SE, police said.

Police were looking for a black male wearing a white T-shirt, possibly with a ponytail. They were also looking for the man targeted by the shooter.

“Certainly we don’t think they were shooting at 6-year-old children,” said 7th District Cmdr. Joel Maupin.

Police combed a parking lot and grassy area about 50 yards from where the children were shot. More then two dozen police cars were on the scene.

The shooting occurred shortly after noon near the heart of the Villages of Parklands, a neatly manicured public housing area.

The children, ages 6 to 12, had been attending the Villages of Parklands community summer camp. Most of the group lived in the Orchard Park neighborhood. The counselor, in his 40s, was an area pastor who worked for the Villages of Parklands, neighbors said.

The group was returning from a federally funded meals program. It was the first day of the three-month DC Free Summer Meals Program available to poor children around the city.

Neighbors said they heard the children singing “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom,” and then nearly a dozen gunshots.

“I’m so afraid,” said Angela Agnew, holding her 1-year-old grandson. “It’s terrible. You can’t bring your kids outside without worrying about getting killed.”

Barry Lynn said he expects more shootings as the summer heats up.

“Due to the economy, people are hungry, people are desperate,” Lynn said. “You are going to see a lot of these senseless shootings.”

The management company for the public housing apartments, William C. Smith & Co., did not return calls for comment.

Appeared Here


Child Neglect Deaths In Florida Drops 30 To 40 Percent – Sounds Good, Until You Find That State Changed Method In Which It Counts Those Deaths

May 27, 2012

FLORIDA – In 2009, 197 Florida children died as a result of abuse or neglect.

The following year, the number fell to 136 — a remarkable drop of 30 percent.

Among kids whose family had a prior history of intervention by child-welfare workers, the improvement was even more dramatic: The death toll fell 40 percent.

Did Florida, a state with a long-troubled child-protection system, dramatically improve its efforts on behalf of at-risk children?

Hardly.

In fact, the Department of Children & Families unilaterally changed the way it tallied child deaths involving neglect.

The new policy, approved in the summer of 2010, significantly narrowed the parameters for what is considered abuse and neglect. The steep decline followed immediately — the first significant reduction in a decade.

However, the new calculation didn’t sit well with several members of the Statewide Child Abuse Death Review Committee. Headed by the state Department of Health, its job is to study child deaths each year in an effort to prevent them in the future. To those critics, the supposed reduction was simply a matter of manipulating data.

A Jacksonville doctor who heads a local death review team blasted the new guidelines in a detailed, six-page 2010 memo, calling them “fatally flawed.”

“These [child-death] investigations are not intended to stigmatize families, but to identify families who may need services to prevent future tragedies involving other children,” wrote Bruce McIntosh, a pediatrician who heads the Department of Health’s Child Protection Team in Jacksonville and serves on a local death-review committee. “They are also essential for identifying epidemiologic risk factors that can be used for education and the prevention of other unintended deaths in the future.”

DCF Secretary David Wilkins, in an interview with The Miami Herald Friday, defended the changes, declaring “We have nothing to hide.”

He said the agency is seeking to be more transparent with state death reviewers this year, partly as a result of ongoing discussions he has had with other members of Gov. Rick Scott’s Children’s Cabinet.

Cabinet members, for instance, have recommended changing state law so that only one state agency evaluates child deaths each year, and stipulating that that group has the authority to investigate every fatality — regardless of whether DCF verifies the death as being the result of parental maltreatment.

Regardless, Wilkins said, he expects DCF to provide statewide death reviewers with records involving all child deaths this year, as members of the team have recommended for several years.“We will make sure that they are looking at a complete set” of death cases, Wilkins said.

So what is a child death involving abuse or neglect?

Two of the most common ways children die in Florida are by drowning in a swimming pool or smothering when they are sleeping in bed with a parent and the parent rolls over. Prior to 2010, those deaths were routinely categorized as abuse or neglect. In many cases, the deaths involved parents who were impaired by alcohol or drugs.

The June 2010 rewrite of DCF procedures dramatically narrowed the definition, essentially saying “a willful act by the caregiver” was required in these instances to constitute neglect.

By way of further explanation, DCF’s top death review coordinator, Keith Perlman, wrote in September 2010 that a child’s drowning should only be considered the result of neglect if the caregiver understood the child was “at risk and, with intent, allowed the child to be placed at risk.”

Perlman also suggested that a child smothered to death by his or her parents in bed has not necessarily died of neglect if the parents’ behavior met a “socially acceptable threshold” — in other words, if other parents place their children in an adult bed at night.

McIntosh, the Jacksonville doctor, took particular issue with Perlman’s claim that investigators must find “intent” to leave a child at risk when a child drowns or is suffocated.

“This proposal,” he wrote, “assumes that a caretaker could credibly claim not to know that it was dangerous to leave a child unsupervised around a body of water.”

Death investigators, McIntosh added, should not consider whether it is “socially acceptable” to place infants in bed with their parents, adding that just because many parents engage in a risky practice “does not make it safe or right.”

“There was a time when parents did not have to buckle their children into car seats, during which time thousands died annually in car accidents,” McIntosh wrote. “Those deaths are now prevented. We are tasked with identifying avoidable death hazards that need to be corrected, not simply accepting the way they are.”

McIntosh added: “Under-reporting and under-verification [of deaths] compromise the validity of the statistics related to child abuse and neglect, make it more difficult to ascertain true progress in combating these problems and, most importantly, defeat efforts to identify causes of preventable death that could be addressed through education, product redesign and legislative regulatory action.”

In a draft of the statewide committee’s annual report, death team members noted that DCF had eliminated more than half of the drowning deaths from 2010 — verifying neglect in 42 of the 91 drownings that were reported to the state. As a result, they stated, the other 48 were never studied and their absence from the sample made it appear as if neglectful drownings had declined dramatically.

In the report language, they used the word “only” in referring to the 42 verified drownings.

That one world — “only” — raised hackles at DCF. Christie Ferris, a member of the committee from DCF, fired off an email on Dec. 30 that said: “The over-use of the word ONLY…implies DCF is under-verifying the reports and/or is not being transparent.”

Another line in the draft report also angered DCF. The agency threatened to vote against release of the report if the full committee refused to delete the line — one that said the dramatic decline in abuse and neglect deaths was owing to DCF “modify[ing] their criteria for verification of certain neglect deaths.”

Ferris, in her email, insisted “no criteria was changed or modified and therefore this is a false statement.” She said the sentence “must be deleted to gain a YES vote from DCF.”

In the end, the sentence was removed as DCF demanded.

Manatee County Sheriff’s Major Connie Shingledecker, who chaired the committee last year, said she supported the concept of achieving consistency throughout the state in the investigation of child deaths: Some regions, she said, considered most drownings a result of neglect, while others required other circumstances, such as the caregiver’s use of drugs or alcohol, as a factor in their poor supervision.

Perlman’s memo, she added, seemed to go too far in excusing poor — and fatal — decisions by parents, unless the parents intended to harm their children.

Both Shingledecker and other team members strongly suspected the reduction in deaths resulted from DCF’s decision to change its criteria. But the denials from Ferris and others prompted her to agree to remove the objectionable language.

“I couldn’t prove it,” Shingledecker told The Herald. “We were told they had not made any changes.”

Going forward, Shingledecker hopes the group will be able to study every case in which a child dies, because such inquiries are the best way to prevent tragedies, she said.

“You never know about the lives you’ve saved,” Shingledecker said. “You only know about the ones you don’t.”

Appeared Here


Pedophile Gwinnett County Georiga Police Officer David D. Lowe Arrested, Quits, Charged After Targeting Children By Posting Pornography – Moron Had Just Graduated Police Academy

May 26, 2012

LAWRENCEVILLE, GEORGIA – Gwinnett County Police arrested one of their own Friday.

In a release, GCPD announced the arrest of David D. Lowe. The 26-year-old Lowe graduated from the police academy earlier this month.

Lowe is charged with electronically furnishing obscene material to minors. Investigators are looking into additional charges.

GCPD’s Special Victims Unit received a tip from the Georgia Bureau of Investigations about explicit video on the website MyYearbook.com, a site designed for use by minors. The site allows users to create a profile and only interact with people in their age range.

For example, if a 14-year-old creates a profile, they will only be able to interact with users between the age of 13 and 16.

The tip from GBI showed that an unknown person had created an account on the website and was sharing adult videos with minors.

GCPD’s SVU was lead to Lowe’s home based on this information. Police obtained a search warrant for their fellow officer and conducted a search on his home and computers Friday.

Lowe was arrested and will be taken to the Gwinnett County Detention Center.

After his arrest, GCPD says Lowe was presented with a “notification of intent to terminate.” Lowe opted to resign instead.

Appeared Here


Public Schools In Jackson Mississippi Agree That They Will Stop Handcuffing Children To Poles, Railings, Desks, And Chairs As Punishment

May 26, 2012

JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI – Public schools in Jackson, Mississippi, will no longer handcuff students to poles or other objects and will train staff at its alternative school on better methods of discipline.

Mississippi’s second-largest school district agreed Friday to the settlement with the Southern Poverty Law Center, which had sued over the practice of shackling students to a pole at the district’s Capital City Alternative School.

Nationwide, a report from the U.S. Department of Education showed tens of thousands of students, 70 percent of them disabled, were strapped down or physically restrained in school in 2009-10. Advocates for disabled students say restraints are often abused, causing injury and sometimes death.

The Mississippi lawsuit was filed in June 2011 by Jeanette Murry on behalf of her then-16-year-old son, who has been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. It said staffers routinely restrained students for hours for offenses as minor as dress code violations, forcing them to eat lunch while chained to a stair railing and to shout for help when they needed to go to the bathroom.

The settlement, approved by U.S. District Judge Tom Lee, says all district employees will stop handcuffing students younger than 13, and can only handcuff older students for crimes. In no case will employees shackle a student to a fixed object such as a railing, a pole, a desk or a chair.

“It’s apparent there were severe problems that we hope now are being addressed and will be alleviated,” Lee told lawyers in court Friday, just before signing the settlement order.

Troubles at the alternative school helped spark the proceedings that have jeopardized the accreditation of the entire 30,000-student district.

The suit also reinforces criticism of alternative schools statewide. A 2009 report by the American Civil Liberties Union found that such schools “overemphasized punishment at the expense of remediation.” That report urged that alternative schools focus instead on “intensive services delivered by a well-qualified staff in a highly structured but positive environment,” so that students could return to and succeed at regular schools.

Nationwide, there are no federal standards, although legislation is pending in Congress. The U.S. Department of Education says Mississippi is one of 13 states with no statewide rules governing restraints.

National experts have said seclusion and restraint should only be used in emergencies when there’s a threat of someone getting hurt. But people who aren’t properly trained resort to restraints when students get out of control, they say.

Appeared Here


Sacramento California Police Officers Interviewing Children And Collecting Their DNA Without Prior Parental Consent Or Notification

April 19, 2012

SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA – Samples of DNA were collected without parental consent from students at a Sacramento, Calif., middle school in connection with the murder of an 8 th grade student who was found stabbed, strangled and beaten to death near the dugout of a local park.

The Sacramento Sheriff’s Department, which has been spearheading the investigation into the murder of Jessica Funk-Haslam, 13, said parental consent was not required in the DNA collection and interview of minors, several of whom were taken out of class during the day last week at Albert Einstein Middle School.

“These are interviews, not interrogations,” Sheriff’s Deputy Jason Ramos told ABCNews.com. “They are all consensual. Once it’s done, there is a mechanism in place for school administrators to notify parents.”

Ramos said the DNA collection was done at the time of the interview so efforts didn’t have to be “duplicated.” Ramos cautioned that the collection did not necessarily mean authorities had a DNA profile of the suspect.

Over the past few weeks, police have sifted through a number of leads and alibis but have been unable to name a suspect in Jessica’s murder.

The teen’s body was found at Rosemont Community Park on the morning of March 6. Jessica was reportedly arguing with her mother the night before and voluntarily left her home and boarded local transportation to a local park.

There is nothing under California law that prohibits DNA collection of consenting minors, said John Myers, a professor at the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento.

“I think the answer is, kids can consent, and if they consented and it was knowing and intelligent, [law enforcement] can do the search,” he told the Sacramento Bee.

Ramos said last week’s DNA collection was not the first time detectives visited the school and that he expects they’ll be back for more follow-up.

He declined to say how many students have been interviewed, but said students who spoke with detectives were sent home with contact information to give to their parents.

“The parents have been completely supportive of it, in fact advocating our detectives do that for the benefit of excluding their children,” Ramos said. “We’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback.”

But one parent who said her son was interviewed wasn’t happy with the process.

“My child’s in a room with two detectives being questioned and grilled and I’m sure he was quite frightened, which is very upsetting,” Michaela Brown told the Los Angeles Times.

Gabe Ross, of the Sacramento City Unified School District, said the school immediately made efforts to notify parents by phone and also sent home a letter. However, Ross said the school would not stand in the way of the investigation.

“We’re not in a position to interfere in any way with the law enforcement investigation. If and when law enforcement wants to interview our students, we inform parents immediately,” Ross said.

Appeared Here


Orange County California Killed Marine Sergeant In School Parking Lot In Front Of His 2 Daughters

February 15, 2012

SAN CLEMENTE, CALIFORNIA – A veteran Orange County sheriff’s deputy feared for the safety of two young girls sitting in a parked car when he shot and killed a Marine sergeant in a dark parking lot near San Clemente High School, authorities said Friday.

Sgt. Manuel Loggins Jr. was shot early Tuesday as he started to get into the SUV where his two daughters — 9 and 14 — were sitting, authorities said. Jim Amormino, a spokesman for the department, said the deputy was fearful that Loggins — who he said appeared to be acting irrationally — was about to drive off with the girls.

“The deputy formed an opinion that he had a deep concern for the children, that he would not allow Mr. Loggins to drive away with the kids,” Amormino said. A former commanding officer said Loggins routinely went to the school with his daughters during the early-morning hours to walk the track and read the Bible.

Appeared Here