West New York New Jersey Mayor Felix Roque Arrested After Hacking eMail Account And Website Associated With Constituents Efforts For Recall Election

May 24, 2012

WEST NEW YORK, NEW JERSEY – A New Jersey mayor and his son were arrested Thursday by the FBI for allegedly hacking into an email account and website tied to a recall effort — and then intimidating those associated with the site.

Felix Roque, 55, the Democratic mayor of West New York, N.J., and his son Joseph, 22, allegedly accessed and cancelled the domain registration for Recallroque.com, a website that was critical of the mayor and associated with a movement to recall him in early February.

Joseph Roque learned how to hack email accounts and GoDaddy.com, a domain registration company, by searching the Internet, according to a criminal complaint unsealed after the arrests.

After RecallRoque.com was taken down, the criminal complaint says, Roque placed a telephone call to the proprietor of the website — “Victim 1,” a government official in Hudson County, N.J. — to say that the page had been taken down by “high government officials and that everyone would pay for getting involved against Mayor Roque.”

Roque also allegedly tried to intimidate those involved with the website, telling “Victim 1” that he had a friend on the CIA: “A friend of mine. he works in the — I can’t tell you — three letters — CIA. You know. That’s how I get information. So what I’m doing is not very kosher.”

The announcement of the arrests was made by U.S. Attorney for the district of New Jersey, Paul J. Fishman.

“In this case, the elected leader of West New York and his son allegedly hacked into computers to intimidate constituents who were simply using the Internet to exercise their constitutional rights to criticize the government,” Fishman said.

The Roques are charged with gaining unauthorized access to computers in furtherance of causing damage to protected computers; causing damage to protected computers; and conspiracy to commit those crimes. (Go Daddy contends that their security systems were not breached, but instead that the recall website was brought down due to unauthorized access of the email address associated with the domain registration account.)

Felix and Joseph Roque are scheduled to appear in federal court Thursday.

The town of West New York has a population of less than 50,000.

Appeared Here


LOL: Montana Chief Federal Judge Richard Cebull “Sorry” About Forwarding Hilarious Racist eMail Aimed At President Obama

March 1, 2012

MONTANA – Montana’s chief federal judge has offered his apologies for forwarding a racist e-mail aimed at President Barack Obama. Liberal advocacy groups demanded that U.S. District Judge Richard Cebull resign.

Cebull, in an interview Wednesday with the Billings Gazette newspaper, offered his regrets for forwarding the e-mail, saying it was “a hard lesson to learn.”

“To say it’s inappropriate and stupid is an extreme understatement,” Cebull said in courthouse chambers on Wednesday, according to the newspaper. “There is no doubt it’s racist. It wasn’t forwarded for that purpose. If anything, it was political.”

The Billings-based judge was named to the bench by President George W. Bush in 2001. He has been chief judge since 2008, overseeing two other full-time district judges, three senior or part-time judges and five magistrates. His chambers did not return a call from CNN for comment.

Cebull did not write the offensive material, but admitted forwarding the February 20 message to a few friends after it was sent to him by his brother. The Great Falls Tribune newspaper was given a copy and reported the message went:

“Normally I don’t send or forward a lot of these, but even by my standards, it was a bit touching. I want all of my friends to feel what I felt when I read this. Hope it touches your heart like it did mine.

A little boy said to his mother, ‘Mommy, how come I’m black and you’re white?’ His mother replied, ‘Don’t even go there Barack! From what I can remember about that party, you’re lucky you don’t bark!'”

Obama is of mixed race.

Cebull said in the interview his conduct in court over many years has shown he is not a racist, but he admitted the public got that impression from the e-mail. “And I don’t blame them,” he added.

The judge also separately told the Great Falls Tribune, “The only reason I can explain it to you is I am not a fan of our president, but this goes beyond not being a fan. I didn’t send it as racist, although that’s what it is. I sent it out because it’s anti-Obama.”

Some legal organizations said the apology was not enough.

“If he has any respect for his office and for ideals of equality and human dignity on which our country was founded, Judge Cebull will step down today,” said Bob Edgar, president and CEO of the left-leaning nonprofit Common Cause. “The message he has acknowledged circulating demonstrates a lack of judicial temperament that ought to disqualify him from further service.”

It’s rare and generally very difficult to force federal judges from office. They receive tenure, and the Constitution guarantees they can remain on the bench “during good behavior.”

Standards warranting removal are not clear, beyond a violation of civil or criminal law. Congress would have to initiate impeachment proceedings, but the few judges to face that have usually resigned before those proceedings went far.

There is no indication the judge in Montana would be subjected to either option.

Appeared Here


Veteran Wylie Texas Police Officer Suspended After Child Pornography And Lewd Images Found On His Home Computer – Female Dispatcher And Another Civilian Employee Also Suspended

January 25, 2012

WYLIE, TEXAS – The Wylie Police Department put a veteran patrolman on paid administrative leave on Tuesday after questions of lewd behavior and child pornography surfaced late Monday night.

The pictures allegedly taken from the policeman’s home computer aren’t just personal, they’re pornographic.

“It’s absolutely not reflective of this agency or the police profession,” said Det. Venece Perepiczka a Wylie Police spokeswoman.

Images posted on the internet show what appears to be the officer in a sexual act with a woman. Another picture shows a woman posing naked next to a Wylie police badge and doing an obscene act with a Glock pistol.

But even more concerning are pictures of child porn.

They’re all believed to have been stolen from the policeman’s personal computer and then sent to every e-mail address in his contact list on Monday night.

Even though Wylie named its officer under investigation, News 8 has decided not to reveal his identity, since he has not been charged with a crime.

In addition to suspending him, Wylie also put a female dispatcher and another civilian employee on paid administrative leave because they appeared in some pictures.

“What Wylie administration will be investigating is the officer’s conduct and how that relates to him being a police officer here,” Det. Perepiczka added.

But Wylie also asked the Texas Rangers to launch an investigation, along with the Garland Police Department, since the Wylie officer actually lives there.

“We contacted him at his home,” explained Ofc. Joe Harn, a Garland Police spokesman. “He was very cooperative. He gave us consent… and we did take his computer.”

The veteran patrolman has worked at Wylie for 13 years.

He used to be a sergeant but was demoted to an officer, Det. Perepiczka confirmed, though it’s uncertain why.

The policeman’s telephone is disconnected and he did not immediately respond to an e-mail Tuesday night.

Garland Police said officers will get a search warrant to look at the officer’s computer, but it might be a couple weeks until they figure out what, if anything, is on the hard drive.

Appeared Here


UK Government To Track Every Phone Call, eMail, And Web Site Visit

October 21, 2010

UK – It will allow security services and the police to spy on the activities of
every Briton who uses a phone or the internet.

Moves to make every communications provider store details for at least a year
will be unveiled later this year sparking fresh fears over a return of the
surveillance state.

The plans were shelved by the Labour Government last December but the Home
Office is now ready to revive them.

It comes despite the Coalition Agreement promised to “end the storage of
internet and email records without good reason”.

Any suggestion of a central “super database” has been ruled out but
the plans are expected to involve service providers storing all users
details for a set period of time.

That will allow the security and police authorities to track every phone call,
email, text message and website visit made by the public if they argue it is
needed to tackle crime or terrorism.

The information will include who is contacting whom, when and where and which
websites are visited, but not the content of the conversations or messages.

The move was buried in the Government’s Strategic Defence and Security Review, which revealed: “We will introduce
a programme to preserve the ability of the security, intelligence and law
enforcement agencies to obtain communication data and to intercept
communications within the appropriate legal framework.

“This programme is required to keep up with changing technology and to
maintain capabilities that are vital to the work these agencies do to
protect the public.

“Communications data provides evidence in court to secure convictions of
those engaged in activities that cause serious harm. It has played a role in
every major Security Service counter­terrorism operation and in 95 per cent
of all serious organised crime investigations.

“We will legislate to put in place the necessary regulations and
safeguards to ensure that our response to this technology challenge is
compatible with the Government’s approach to information storage and civil
liberties.”

But Isabella Sankey, director of policy at Liberty, said: “One of the
early and welcome promises of the new Government was to ‘end the blanket
storage of internet and email records’.

“Any move to amass more of our sensitive data and increase powers for
processing would amount to a significant U-turn. The terrifying ambitions of
a group of senior Whitehall technocrats must not trump the personal privacy
of law abiding Britons.”

Guy Herbert, general secretary of the No2ID campaign group, said: “We
should not be surprised that the interests of bureaucratic empires outrank
liberty.

“It is disappointing that the new ministers seem to be continuing their
predecessors’ tradition of credulousness.”

Appeared Here