Obama Tries To Fight Back With BS After He Was Handed His Butt On A Plate At Debate – What’s He Smoking? Claims Romney Was An Imposter

October 5, 2012

LAKEWOOD, COLORADO – In his first public appearance after what was widely viewed as a lackluster debate performance against his Republican challenger, President Barack Obama was cheered Thursday at a morning rally by thousands of supporters, telling them he was shocked to meet a “guy who was playing Mitt Romney” on stage.

“When I got onto the stage, I met this very spirited fellow who claimed to be Mitt Romney,” he said.

“The real Mitt Romney has been running around the country for the last year, promising $5 trillion in tax cuts to favor the wealthy,” he said. But on Wednesday, “he said, I don’t know anything about that,” Obama said. “The real Mitt Romney said we don’t need anymore teachers in our classrooms….but last night, he can’t get enough of them.”

Obama, speaking to a crowd of 10,000 at Sloan’s Lake here, addressed Wednesday’s debate at the University of Denver in a far more spirited attack on Romney than he leveled at the debate, repeatedly characterizing Romney’s performance as that of a candidate attempting to morph his political profile and step away from his former positions on issues such as taxes and education while refusing to provide details on billions of dollars he’d cut in programs.

“Thank goodness somebody is getting tough on Big Bird. We didn’t know Big Bird was driving the federal deficit but that’s what we heard last night,” Obama said, referring to Romney’s statement that he would cut funding for the public television, which is home of “Sesame Street.”

“I had to spend a lot of time last night trying to pin him down,” he said, noting that on the issue of tax breaks for corporations that outsource jobs, Romney “said he doesn’t even know there are such laws.”

“It will be interesting to see what the guy who was playing Mitt Romney yesterday” will do on foreign policy, the subject of the last debate later this month in Florida, he said.

Thousands braved the cold, lining up at dawn around Sloan’s Lake in suburban Lakewood for the rally and appeared undeterred after most pundits panned Obama’s performance as lackluster and called Wednesday’s debate in favor of Romney. The GOP candidate delivered a much-needed bravura performance, appearing energetic and aggressive in contrast to Obama’s low-key, professorial approach.

Speakers and entertainers downplayed the debate reviews and put on a brave face, and several of them reprised the theme that Romney offered a new version of himself in an attempt to fool voters.
“Do you believe the new Mitt Romney?” asked former U.S. Transportation Secretary Federico Pena, using a refrain that pumped up the crowd, which shouted “No!” to his repeated observations about Romney’s debate promises to protect the middle class, education, and social programs. He lauded the president as telling “the truth” at the rally, as the crowd cheered.

“The choice couldn’t be more clear…that’s what you saw last night,” said Colorado U.S. Senator Mark Udall. “We’ve got 33 days left…we ignore the pundits,” Udall said. “What do they know?”

The upbeat crowd chanted “Fired up! Ready to Go!” and lustily sang along in the chill morning air with performer Will.I.Am, whose message came in songs like “Don’t Stop Believin’.”
“We have to go out and vote and inspire the ones who don’t believe to keep on believing,” he told them.

Pat Clark, 70, a retired accountant from Denver, was among the Obama supporters who expressed disappointment in the debate, its moderator –and the candidate, who she said should have gone on attack more.

“Jim Lehrer lost control,” she said, allowing Romney to take over and drive the issues.

But like many of the rallly, Clark said the debate didn’t change her mind — or her enthusiasm for Obama. ‘”He’ll come back,” she said.

Lynn Norrie, 70, a Denver nurse therapist, also said she was disappointed that the debate on domestic issues never included a question on immigration or women’s issues, like reproductive rights. “Cutting funding for Planned Parenthood? That’s the sharpest difference between them..it’s crystal clear,” she said.

Obama’s Denver rally marks the start of a new campaign swing and fundraising drive that will take him to California this week. He will be in San Francisco Monday for a two fundraisers, including one at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium expecrted to drawn big crowds.

Appeared Here


Denver Colorado Police Issue Bogus Tickets Based On Improper Temporary Construction Sign Placement – Some Signs Not Visible To Motorists

September 30, 2012

DENVER, COLORADO – The Federal Highway Administration has ordered a review of the signage at a construction site in northeast Denver after a motorist got a speeding ticket and complained the construction zone signs were improperly posted.

CBS4 Investigator Rick Sallinger has found portable speed limit signs kept up beyond the federal guideline and motorists being ticketed.

Denver police stopped Neil Slade on East 56th Avenue, just east of Quebec, for going 46 in a 30 mph zone. The fines are doubled in the construction zone and Slade could face $250 for the offense.

“I was informed I was speeding in a work zone.” Slade recalls asking the officer “What construction?” claiming he never saw the speed limit sign.

If traveling behind a large vehicle, Slade claims a driver would never see the portable construction zone signs.

“The whole purpose of reduced speed limit signs are to get people to slow down and if you can’t see the sign what good is it doing?”

CBS4 showed pictures of the construction zone signage to the State Traffic Engineer, Charles Meyer at CDOT, and consulted the Federal Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. Meyer says portable signs are permitted.

“Portable signs can be used in some certain circumstances when a permanent sign might not be appropriate. Or, it may just have to be constantly moved,” Meyer said.

The MUTCD says permanent signs are to be erected 7 feet high. The portable signs must be over a foot off the ground and should not be in place more than three days. But in the construction project on East 56th Avenue we found them there much longer.

The city of Denver keeps a close eye on the project and insists that three day limit for portable signs is not a solid rule. Senior Traffic Engineer Justin Schmitz says, “We used some flexibility and engineering judgment for the project to extend that beyond the timeframe. But, they are moved around constantly throughout the site.”

Work zones help protect people and they also bring in money. Denver routinely uses photo radar vans to catch violators. CBS4 spotted more portable signs left up for days on the South Broadway construction project. We asked Skip Guarini, a safety consultant, to have a look at the project.

“I’m not even sure it’s legal,” Guarini points to a sign on the sidewalk far from the side of traffic. “That sign is easily missed by a motorist.”

Guarini also pointed out other issues, including traffic signals missing over some lanes. A driver ran the red light in question as CBS4 was approaching the light. Guarini says, “This is typical of a work zone that is not set up properly.”

The city of Denver says it will comply with the findings of the East 56th Avenue signage review and correct any problems, if they find any. Failure to follow federal laws can mean loss of highway funds.

Appeared Here


Clear Creek County Colorado Deputy Loses Patrol Vehicle To 18 Year Old Girl He Claims He Handcuffed And Locked In Cage – Deputy’s Ram The Vehicle During High Speed Chase Ends When Police Cause Her To Leave Road And Roll Patrol Vehicle And Hit Rock Wall

September 27, 2012

CREEK COUNTY, COLORADO – The Clear Creek County Sheriff’s Office might want to invest in some stronger handcuffs.

Shelby Figueroa, 18, is facing multiple charges after allegedly breaking free from a pair of handcuffs, stealing a deputy’s vehicle, and leading officials on a high-speed chase through the mountains of Colorado, KUSA-TV reports.

Authorities say they first encountered Figueroa on Sunday morning, near Georgetown, Colo., when she rammed her own car into an SUV belonging to the Clear Creek County Sheriff’s Office . The deputy on patrol handcuffed the teen and placed her in the back of the SUV.

“She’s combative, but she’s in the back of [the deputy’s] car now,” dispatchers were told.

Not for long.

Two minutes later, the 18-year-old managed to break out of her restraints, escape from the cage, get into the driver’s seat and speed away, deputies say, igniting a chase that lasted a half hour and reached speeds up to 100 mph.

Deputies attempted to ram Figueroa off the road several times before succeeding at around 10:30 a.m., according to KUSA-TV. However, KDVR reports that the teen went off the road when she hit a spike strip.

Either way, the SUV flipped over and crashed into a rock wall.

Figueroa was treated for her injuries at a local hospital, and is now being charged with attempted vehicular assault on a peace officer, vehicular eluding, aggravated motor vehicle theft, resisting arrest, driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs, theft and reckless driving.

Is stealing cars what all the cool kids are doing these days? Earlier this month, 13-year-old Elizabeth Annette Robinson allegedly stole her brother’s car to meet up with a boyfriend she had met online.

And in August, a 14-year-old boy in Pennsylvania led police officers on a wild chase after allegedly stealing a Jeep.

Appeared Here


Deep-Pockets: Three Colorado Mass Shooting Victims Sue Theater Company That Had Nothing To Do With The Shooting, Shooter, Weapons Used, Movie, Etc.

September 22, 2012

COLORADO – Three people wounded in the July mass shooting at a Colorado multiplex are suing the theater owner, claiming that security was lax the night a gunman opened fire and killed 12 people.

Two lawsuits filed Friday against Cinemark USA Inc., owner of Century Aurora 16, allege negligence on the part of the corporation because the theater lacked adequate security or sufficient alarm systems.

“Although the theater was showing a midnight premier of the movie and was expecting large crowds of people to attend the midnight showing, no security personnel were present for that showing,” according to both lawsuits, which were filed by the same law firm.

“The exterior doors to the theater were lacking in any alarm system, interlocking security systems, or any other security or alarm features.”

James Holmes, 24, is accused of opening fire on a crowded theater during the July 20 midnight showing of the latest Batman movie, “The Dark Knight Rises.”

Fifty-eight people were wounded in the attack.

The lawsuits were filed in U.S. District Court in Colorado on behalf of Joshua Nowlan, Denise Traynom and Brandon Axelrod.

Iraq war veteran Nowlan, 31, and newlyweds Axelrod, 30, and Traynom, 24, were at the theater together when the shooting occurred.

“Josh helped me protect my wife, and he got shot. It wasn’t expected. But I’m glad he was there with us because the three of us together, we piled on each other and we kept each other safe. And you know, luck or faith, whatever you want to call it, kept us alive,” Axelrod told CNN in an interview shortly after the shooting.

“Josh, while we were hugging each other in the aisle, got hit in the arm. And at some point, because he’s so tall and lanky, he got hit in the leg, as well.”

The Denver law firm of Keating, Wagner, Polidori & Free, filed the lawsuits: One on behalf of Nowlan, the other on behalf of Traynom and Axelrod.

According to the lawsuits, the gunman was able to go in and out of the theater several times undetected to retrieve a “virtual arsenal of weapons, including, but not limited to, one or more fully loaded shotguns, an AR-15 assault rifle, one or more fully loaded, automatic Glock handguns, and several tear gas canisters.”

Nowlan’s right arm was nearly severed by a bullet, Traynom was shot in the buttocks and Axelrod injured his knee and ankle, according to the lawsuits.

The lawsuits also allege that the theater’s security guards were given the night off, even though there had been several previous criminal incidents.

The lawsuits are seeking “amount which will fully and fairly compensate each of them for damages, losses and injuries” on behalf of the three victims.

The lawsuits were filed the same day that Cinemark officials announced a plan to reconfigure the movie theater and reopen it by the beginning of next year.

Appeared Here


Crazed Loveland Colorado School Officials Target Student Wearing Rosary Beads – They’ve Taken Them Away Twice Saying They Are “Fighting Gangs”

September 16, 2012

LOVELAND, COLORADO — A student is questioning whether his faith or his fashion is under fire at his high school in Loveland.

Thompson Valley High School officials have confiscated his rosary beads twice since school started three weeks ago.

And he says they never told him, or his family, why.

“They tell me I can’t wear them,” says Manuel Vigil, showing us an identical rosary to the one seized by his school.

The junior says he wears rosary beads to protect himself from harm.

But his school district thinks the religious necklace will harm students.

“That’s typically not what we want for a safe environment for school,” says Thompson Valley School District spokesperson Margaret Crespo.

The district says they can be affiliated with gangs, and disrupt learning.

“Are you in a gang? I ask Vigil. ‘No. I’m not in a gang,’ he says. You’re a good student? ‘I’m a good student,’” he says.

The 16-year-old says he and his family are strong Catholics.

“I use them for prayer. I feel safe when I have them on.”

The district says it gave Vigil options before seizing the beads.

“We’ve given you two opportunities to take it off or to put it inside your shirt. That’s not something you’re interested in doing. You’re not giving us an alternative than to remove it,” Crespo says Vigil was told.

But Vigil says he only got a demand.

“If he would have given me that option, I would have put it in my shirt,” he says.

Vigil’s classmates agree putting a bad label on a good symbol is wrong.

“If it’s for religious reasons he should be allowed to wear it. We have religious tolerance in this country,” says a freshman student Jack.

“It’s a necklace. Girls wear necklaces all the time and they never get them taken away,” says junior Rachel.

“They can say anything they want is disruptive. Just ‘cause they say it, doesn’t mean it’s true,” says freshman Adam. None of the students wanted to give their last names.

Vigil says how ironic he’s getting in trouble for being a good and faithful person.

“I could see if I was out doing gang activity, but I’ve never been in trouble with the law, never been in trouble at school,” says Vigil.

The bigger problem the district says is Vigil’s rosary had 13 beads per section, instead of the traditional 10.

That 13, they say, can be associated with the Sureno’s gang.

But Vigil didn’t know that.

Plus, on some religious websites we also found several rosaries featuring 13 beads.

His other confiscated rosary, by the way, has 10 beads.

He’s tried to pick them up from the office. But the school says they’ll only give them to a parent and his mom can’t make it during school hours because of work.

Appeared Here


Money-Hungry Colorado Shooting Victims Banding Together To Sue Theater Company That Had No Responsibility Or Part In Man’s Shooting Rampage

September 9, 2012

AURORA, COLORADO – A possible lawsuit is brewing over the shootings at the Aurora movie theater, and there may be many more. The suit could target the owner of the theater.

Lawyers in New York they say Cinemark is the main entity they’re planning to go after for compensation for the victims. They’re hoping they can reach some sort of settlement right off the bat, but they’re prepared to go to court.

“We have the experience and the contacts to hopefully end this litigation quickly,” attorney Marc Bern said.

Bern is with Napoli, Bern, Ripka, and Scholonik, a New York firm that has represented victims from Sept. 11 and the Costa Concordia ship wreck. Bern won’t say who, but they’ve partnered with a local firm and are now representing many of the theater shooting victims, trying to get compensation.

“The victims here are some of the worst types of injuries that I have seen in over 37 years of practice,” Bern said. “I believe that the primary responsibility at this point rests with Cinemark.”

Bern says right now they’re investigating to see if there were any past incidents at the theater and if there should have been more security there. Also in their crosshairs, the mental health professionals suspect James Holmes saw in the past.

“Either they did warn, and if they did, who did they warn. And if they failed to warn, should they have warned?”

That has been a central question in the case, and because of doctor-patient confidentiality, it’s something that may never be revealed.

Aurora police say no major incident like a shooting has ever happened before in the theater, but has happened in the nearby mall. Cinemark has yet to comment on the impending litigation.

Appeared Here


Monument Colorado Police And Bomb Squad Close Streets To Investigate Lunch Box Containing A Gatorade Bottle

August 26, 2012

MONUMENT — Several streets were closed down in Monument as police and bomb squad experts examined suspicious package.

Monument police Chief Jakob Shirk said the package was found Saturday afternoon in the area of Third Street.

“The circumstances caused us to call the bomb squad,” Shirk said.

Shirk said it would likely turn out the package is not dangerous.

In fact, X-Rays showed the package to be a soft-sided lunch box containing a Gatorade.

Appeared Here